Thursday, November 17, 2005

When Coats are no Longer Enough

In England, Fall means business. As soon as October hit the wind set in and the leaves all turned instantly yellow or red. Now that November is here the temperature has dropped and maintained a cool forty degrees or below. This may not sound like a big deal, but I, may I remind you, was born and raised in Southern California. Forty degrees is what happens a few nights in January when you are snuggled in your bed with the heater on and two pairs of socks.

Sunday I got ready to leave the house and, because it I knew it was fall and a little chilly, I put on a sweater and walked out the door. I stopped dead in my tracks. I then turned around, walked back in the house and got a scarf. By the time I had tried to walk out the door again, the gust of cold air convinced me to go back up into my room and pile on another shirt, then the sweater, then the scarf and finally my winter coat (the first winter coat I have ever owned, by the way). As I was walking towards town the only part of my body that remained warm were my shoulder sockets where all five layers were piled up, making it hard to move my arms, but keeping my rotator cuff warm and toasty.

It has since been necessary to wear one's winter coat everyday this week. Mine, I might add, is the brightest color of red you could possibly imagine. And so, as of today I now own two winter coats, the second of which is a reasonable dark brown and unlikely to blind the passerby with its sheer force of color.

And before I get back to my reading I just need to say that I love sheep. Without sheep there would be no wool and without wool there would be no way to POSSIBLY stay warm enough to not die on your way to tutorials. This may sound like an exaggeration to all of you, but let me say again: born and raised in southern California.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ginna said...

What were you orphaned? Raised by wolves? "The first winter coat I have ever owned..." At least one of your coats is still hanging in the hall closet. Could it be that the succession of coats we bought were just fall or spring coats.....or maybe Jadie is the only M-girl that actually owned a real coat...

5:14 PM  
Blogger Andrew M. Bailey said...

At first I thought the post was about how your coats aren't long enough. But that did not make any sense to me (for obvious reasons).

As for what the post *really* said.. well, you're a pansy. =)

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Homey,
This is where I rub in your face the fact that it is still 80 degrees here. Which in a way kind of sucks. It's supposed to be Fall gosh dangit! I have all the pictures of you in London, so don't worry... they exist:-D EIP's Christmas party will be December 19th (I'm so mad about this!) Love you!

9:48 AM  
Blogger Cate said...

If the coat wasn't wool or didn't resemble a down sleeping bag, it doesn't count because it wouldn't cut it here. I remember Jadie owning such a coat, but I don't remember having (or needing) one.

Ellie, why are you angry at December 19th?

I am not a pansy it is cold!!

And Tim, you are sick.

3:00 AM  
Blogger Amanda Mae said...

"Los Angeles - I'm yours."

Los Angeles and I will be here for you when you get back. Seriously, there is a wealth of adventure to be found there. I am excited for the next few years, but afraid, too... I have fallen in love! Will Los Angeles think of me everyday, carefully awaiting our next rendezvous? Will we have startling days and sleepless nights? Will the thrill of discovery ever get old? In short, can our love last?

I hope so.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Ginna said...

Amanda, dear vulnerable Amanda,

Los Angeles is a fickle, faithless lover. And you the sweet innocent in a long line of sweet innocents, all seduced by the dazzling smile and effusive charm. But be warned, Los Angeles loves no one as much as it does itself. It will use you and leave you in the gutter like an old sock. And there is nothing pretty about that...

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker