Thursday, June 23, 2005

My Secret Work Life

I have a pretty boring job. It is a nice job, and the people at my office are fun, but a job it is non-the-less, and as such it is pretty boring. So, I have developed a secret work life. I steal things from the salesmen.

This is not as sneaky or illegal as it sounds, but it does spice up my job a little. You see, my job consists of a series of tasks and duties that, while they make the company run smoothly, mean very little in the long run. So I have inserted myself in a power struggle with the salesmen of the company. The salesmen float in and out of the office as they please, bringing in important people, and usually leaving with some product literature that I have carefully organized on the shelves. It is one of my long-standing duties to keep our shelves well stocked with product literature. The salesmen have tried for years to thwart me in this task by taking the last catalog and brochure and then complaining about the fact that there are no more to all the other salesmen.

But now I am fighting back.

A salesman's weakness is always his desire to talk. They will stand around for hours talking, and this is when I strike. After they have collected all the literature they desire, they inevitabley find someone to talk to, or make a phone call before they leave. As they are talking I sneak over to their pile of literature and take small sections of each stack of catalogs. Then I hide them under my desk until they leave. Then, as they are getting in their car and planning their latest scathing email about how all the literature is missing, I put the brochures back on the shelf and cut them down before they have a chance. It makes me feel more like a spy then an office manager, which of course is a significant promotion.

Do any of you have secret work lives that you care to confess?

9 Comments:

Blogger Amanda Mae said...

haha, I do have secrets at work.

In between creamer wars with the ushers, you know, they steal creamers behind my back, I throw them at them when their backs are turned. whee...

Well what I do secretly is I make up stories about my life and tell them to the customers... I lie. One time my brother went to base training, one time I went parachuting.. one time my name was Susanna.

It usually has to do with what they are chattering to me about.

Sometimes I write a sign that says "Back in five, sorry!" but no time written down. haha! So then, fifteen or an hour later, I saunter back in.


I'm just kidding about that last one.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since the entrance to my cube faces an aisle that is pretty deserted (people seriously walk by maybe once every half-hour), I occasionally enjoy spinning around in my chair as fast as I can until I get dizzy. It's way fun.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Cate said...

That makes me smile. Erin you are so cute!!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Wordy said...

erin is my favorite spinning girl.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Wordy said...

HELLO CAITLIN.

You were sitting next to me less than 30 seconds ago, but now you have gone.

I miss you.

Come back to me, baby.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a lot of free time and so i read and I look up coupons on the internet. Then I look at the weekly store ads and try to figure out how to get free groceries. After this... I am bored.

My only undercover activities are attempts to get our company to recycle more. We waste so much paper, soda cans... etc. I can cash in on the cans and put paper into the recylcing tub.

Not so interesting, but that is what I do.

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last one was by Katie Jones (aka. Kraetsch)

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cate and Kathy make me happy. And in case you didn't notice...my previous post was submitted while I was, in fact, at work. I was going to point out that fact and joke about how I obviously don't have much to do, since I'm checking your blog at work, but THEY check out what we look at and the emails we send, and I would want THEM to report to my boss that I'm on the internet too much. (P.S. I think THEY is the the people in IT, but I'm not totally sure)

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I down sugar-packets and creamers when I restock the coffee-station at the cafeteria where I work. And imagine different ways to torture people with cooking implements. Bwahaha. (You see? You see what spending four years of your life being friends with Wren Tabris will do to your brain??)

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker