Friday, January 06, 2006

Molly and Kit

No, I am not referring to the two most modern members of the American Girl Doll Family (a similarity I just recognized), but to our two wonderful dogs. Molly has been an upstanding member of our family and paragon of canine virtue for all the fourteen years I have known her, but this post will focus on the more recent addition, our overwhelmingly happy and large Kit.

Kit was given to us by an old friend when she grew too big for their small children to handle. While Molly was instantly impressive with her sheer force of brain power, ability to know us kids by name, willingness to go anywhere and everywhere with us, her ability to run faster then most cheetas, and her jumping of 6 foot fences in a single bound, Kit at first glance seemed to be kind of a failure at being a dog. She appeared to be incredibly stupid, more awkward then any animal I have ever encountered (she would knock over everything in her path including us), and was actually physically incapable of running. She could walk, but get her to go faster and she turned into a strange hybrid of dog and camel, trotting towards you, never stopping in time to not take out your knee. Dad actually picked her name for its ease and effectiveness when yelled angrily across the yard.

Despite her unpromising beginning, Kit has unexpectedly turned into one of the great blessings in my life. She has learned to run and to be slightly more graceful around the house, but she has also demonstrated a personality not frequently encountered. Kit is affection incarnate. It never matters if you have been gone three weeks or just walked down the street to get the mail, as soon as you get back to the driveway she will greet you with the same incredible enthusiasm and excitement. Whenever I see her she walks up to me and licks my hand, and today when I didn't let her get on the porch swing with me, she walked around the swing in a circle, whimpering until I pet her. She has been trying to be very good and quiet in the house, but whenever you mention her name you can hear the solid thumping of her tail from where ever she may be laying.

The other night I got to experience another side of her that caused my warm affection for her to turn into genuine love. I was home alone one night here at my parents, which can be a little scary. We have few neighbors, and live well out of town, so nights are very quiet. I had finished the movie I was watching and went upstairs to go to bed. Both of the dogs followed me up and layed down in the hall. Just as I was about to fall asleep, they both start barking loudly and ran downstairs. I freaked out. I knew none of the doors were locked, I was alone, and something in our normally quiet neighborhood was causing our normally quiet dogs to bark incessantly. I creeped downstairs and locked all the doors, and Kit followed me back up. Once I got back in bed, she sat down right in front of my bed, facing the door. I felt instantly safe, seeing her planted in front of me. Though it was probably nothing outside, I knew that she was their to protect me from it. She only moved to come and lick my hand or to patrol downstairs once or twice, and then she would promptly sit down in front of me again. She sat there for over an hour until my parents came home.

If I am able to find a man who shows the same balance of love and protection I get from this dog, I will be one lucky, lucky woman. If not, I know Kit will always be my affectionate friend with big scary teeth.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amanda Mae said...

Kit is sooooooooooooo x 12948487327387 stupid!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Sethicus said...

But she's still a good dog.

(teryhqgx)

1:05 PM  
Blogger brian said...

i like kit. i miss her, actually.

12:49 AM  
Blogger Cate said...

Yes!! That is what you should do. And I refuse to acknowledge that I have ever impersonated the President. I think that is probably a federal offense.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker